Tempura Tilapia Tacos with Spicy Slaw
This family favorite entices with its crunchy fish and spicy flavors!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 16 MexAmerica corn tortillas for tacos
- 2 tilapia filets (about 1 pound), cut into 3
- 1 cup red cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup green cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup garden onions, sliced on an angle
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 avocado, removed from the skin and pit
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for sautéing the fish
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Slice all ingredients as indicated above.
- Make the avocado sour cream: In a food processor, mix the avocado and sour cream until well blended.
- Make the slaw dressing: Clean the food processor and mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, corn oil, ground ginger, peanut butter, lime juice, garlic, Tabasco sauce and a pinch of salt and white pepper. Mix with the two types of cabbage and the carrot strips.
- Make the tempura: Whisk together the cold water, cake flour, corn starch and baking soda.
- Dip the fish strips in the tempura. Shake it off and saute in the olive o8il until lightly browned and crunchy. Set aside on paper towels.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Each component should have its own bowl: Tortillas, avocado cream, cabbage slaw, red peppers, garden onions, and the fish. Each person can put together their own tacos as they please. You can also serve extra Tabasco sauce in the event someone likes them really hot. Enjoy!
Chef Lynn’s Tip:
For the tempura, make sure you use cake flour. It has a higher starch content than all-purpose flour and really is different. Make sure you use water that has been iced so it’s very cold and you will have great luck!