Smoked Chicken Tacos with Roasted Tomatoes, Jalapeños & Avocado Cream
This tasty combination of smoked chicken and hot, roasted tomatoes is incredibly easy and incredibly good!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 12 MexAmerica corn tortillas for tacos
- 6 cups smoked or rotisserie chicken
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces each
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Deep fry the tortillas into taco shapes. Set aside on paper towels. Or, as an alternative, heat them just before serving by warming them between paper towels for 40 seconds in a microwave or heating them for 20 seconds per side on a hot griddle.
- Place the tomato slices on a cookie sheet with sides. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated 400 degree F oven for about 30 minutes, until lightly browned and soft. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Make the avocado cream: In a food processor fitted with the knife blade, mix the avocado with the sour cream and lime juice. Set aside.
- Put the chicken, tomatoes, jalapeño, lettuce, cheese and avocado cream in separate bowls. Let your guests make their own tacos. Have fun!
Chef Lynn’s Tip: This recipe can be very quick if you have a source to buy the smoked or rotisserie chicken. It’s all about the combination of the soft, hot tomatoes and the smoked chicken. It will be worth the search if you can find it! If you have a smoker and want to smoke your own, please refer to reputable smoking guides.