Southwestern Chicken Fajitas by Bob Cramer
Soaking the beans takes a long time! As another option, you can use canned black beans. Drain them well and then proceed with the recipe. They are a very tasty option and cut the time WAY down!
Prep Time: 24 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 24 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 Fajitas
- 6 MexAmerica Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless breasts or 8 thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint sour cream
- Cover the beans with water and soak them overnight. Drain. Cover with new water and boil for about 20 minutes, until soft.
- Purée the beans with the cumin, salt, Serrano pepper, tomatoes and olive oil. Set aside.
- Pound the chicken until it's the same thickness all over (1/4"). Marinate it in the olive oil, cilantro, salt and pepper and lemon zest for 1 hour.
- Sauté the chicken until just cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and slice.
- To make the fajitas, heat the flour tortillas for 40 seconds in the microwave, between two pieces of paper toweling. Place chicken strips and bean sauce on each one and roll up.
- Serve with pico de gallo and sour cream.